Friday, December 10, 2010

Here we go again...

OK, so I kinda failed at this blog thing in the past... As everyone can see I haven't posted anything in over a year. I guess, school, work, family, and pregnancy (again) can throw off my consistency a little. =) BUT, I do find that this is the best way to keep people updated (if anyone really cares), without me forgetting to call/write/text someone.... So I guess here we go!

I will just jump right in. We had a little scare with the babies yesterday. By now I think anyone reading this knows we are having twins. =) Anyway, Mathew rushed me to the OB to see a doctor. PRAISE God that the babies are doing fine. I just tried to take on too much and have to start treating my body as if I am actually caring two babies at once, and not just one. All the risks with a normal pregnancy double with twins and that became a reality yesterday. Thankfully, they are fine, and my body is still carrying my two little miracles...OK, now on to the fraternal/identical twins part. Yesterday, when we went to see the doctor he had a student with him, and he asked him why we couldn't tell yet if we were having identical or fraternal twins yet. This came to a surprise because I already thought that we were having fraternal, due to the fact that they are in two different sacs. Well, that's not always true. That used to be the truth in the past, though research has advanced over the years (obviously) and the only way to tell is when the babies are born. OR if the babies are opposite sex, then we for sure know they are not identical, duh. It all depends on the splitting of the egg in the first few days after conception. An egg can split in many ways, one with two placentas, two sacs, etc... One with one placenta one sac, etc.. and a few other ways. ANYWAY, apparently an egg can split early enough where it can split with two placentas, two sacs, and therefore two babies, but they came from ONE egg, therefore they are still identical. OR I could have produced two different eggs meaning they are fraternal and one egg never split, I just had two, hence two different babies. So if they are a boy and a girl, we know they are fraternal, if they are two boys, or two girls, the only true way to find out if they are identical is if we do genetic testing after they are born.... Cool huh? I guess we will find out next week about this mystery when we finally get to see what the sexes of the babies are.... Stay tuned for an update on that! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment