Sunday, April 5, 2009

sounding more like Jesus...

I am completely floored by the way people talk to each other. Especially, those who claim Jesus as their Lord. Don't get me wrong, I am by far not perfect in any way, shape, or form. Its those who DON'T realize it, that make me not only angry, but sad... I will hand it over to my husband now...
(Mathew) Jennifer and I have been talking about this for sometime. We listen to people in so many different settings that just "sound" nasty towards each other. I don't know if some of this is from the two years I spent in customer service at Geico, but I do know that it is so important that we learn to listen to ourselves when we talk. I am not just talking about the things we say, but the way in which we say them. There is always a better way to say something without sounding nasty. I know that as you are reading this you are thinking of those instances, as I am myself.... A good example is asking someone to move..."Move your feet" said with a negative tone it sounds bad. However, if you change your tone and you say "Please move your feet" the simple please and a calm tone can change that entire statement. It is more than just words. Not to get on the wrong soap box, but where has "please" and "Thank you's" gone? I just ask that the next time we catch ourselves in a conversation with a spouse, parent, sibling, child, friend, boss, or whoever, lets think about the WAY we sound. Whether the conversation is an argument or just a simple conversation, we should take this as a lesson in humility and patience. WE are not the most important, and our agenda IS NOT the most important, Christ is the most important!! And yes, as Jennifer just said, I am sounding "preachy" on purpose because I want you to "hear" my passion and understand my point. -Forever His, Mathew

No comments:

Post a Comment